Supporting All Learners at Sheldon Elementary
“Within each school district’s comprehensive system of educational services, Title 16 of the Vermont Statutes requires each public school to develop and maintain an educational support system (ESS) for children who require additional assistance in order to succeed in the general education environment.” VTAoE
As a SWIFT School, Sheldon Elementary School subscribes to the belief that every student should be given the supports they need to achieve academic and social success. To support those ends, Sheldon has adopted an MTSS model. MTSS means Multi-Tiered Systems of Support.
“MTSS is a multi-step process of providing instruction and support to promote the academic and behavioral success of all children. Individual children’s progress is monitored and results are used to make decisions about further instruction and intervention. MTSS is most commonly used in addressing reading, math and behavior, but it can also be used in other areas. The MTSS process is flexible and designed by school districts to meet the needs of their students. The MTSS process typically has three tiers. Each tier provides differing levels of support.
- In Tier I, all students receive high quality curriculum and instruction in the general education classroom. The teacher assists all students.
- In Tier II, the school provides supplemental instructional support, usually in small groups, to students who need additional support to what they are receiving from the general curriculum.
- In Tier III, intense instructional support is provided to students with the greatest needs, with frequent progress monitoring.
- In Tier I, all students are explicitly taught positive behavioral expectations. All teachers use a consistent approach to discipline.
- In Tier II, the school provides supplemental targeted behavioral skill interventions usually in small groups.
- In Tier III, student centered planning is used to develop customized interventions with frequent progress monitoring” [ University of Kansas: http://www.kpirc.org/uploads/MTSSKS1.pdf]
At Sheldon Elementary, students are identified for additional support through our Educational Support Team (EST) process. The EST Team analyzes data and determine the level of support needed. Additional supports may include the following:
- Adjustments in classroom instruction with support
- Math Specialist coordinated interventions
- Guidance Counseling
- School-based Behavior Consultant coordinated interventions
- Title One Interventions in Reading and Math
- Special Education for Identified Students